Free Webcast: Recognizing & Addressing Elder Abuse on Legal Helplines and Hotlines
When: Wednesday, February 27, 2019 at 11:00 a.m. PT/2:00 p.m. ET.
Recognizing elder abuse, neglect, and exploitation of older adults over the phone presents unique challenges for legal helpline and hotline advocates, and it requires skills specific to phone communication. Elder abuse may be hidden within the issue presented by the caller, and legal aid attorneys, pro bono attorneys, and staff have the difficult task of spotting these issues and determining the best way to handle them.
In this webcast, presenters will share information on:
- How to identify elder abuse situations on helplines;
- Best practices for trauma-informed communication and cultural competency when speaking with callers who have experienced abuse; and
- Protocols for determining the best course of action, appropriate referrals, and safety precautions.
Senior-focused and general helplines, as well as advocates providing services by phone will benefit from the information presented in this webcast. Older adults who have experienced abuse may reach out to a variety of places to seek assistance, and screening for elder abuse is an important practice for all legal helplines and call centers.
The webcast will build on previous NCLER trainings, including Legal Basics: Elder Abuse and Legal Basics: Signs of Elder Abuse, Neglect, and Exploitation.
Closed captioning will be available on this webcast. A link with access to the captions will be shared through GoToWebinar's chat box shortly before the webcast start time.
- Ellen Cheek, The Florida Senior Legal Helpline, Bay Area Legal Services, Inc.
- Valory Greenfield, The Florida Senior Legal Helpline, Bay Area Legal Services, Inc.
- Mike Walters, Legal Hotline Managing Attorney at Pro Seniors, Inc.
NOTE: This training will be presented in a WEBCAST format to accommodate more participants. Due to the high volume of participants, computer audio will be the only option to listen to the presentation. No telephone call-in number will be provided. Please plan accordingly. Thank you.
The webcast will take place on Wednesday, February 27, 2019 at 11:00 a.m. PT/2:00 p.m. ET.